How It Works
The Zenalyser® Treatment System makes it quick and easy to support and monitor a client who is prescribed disulfiram (Antabuse). For the operating manuals, please click: Downloads – Information.
For an overview of the system, please read below.
How does the system work?
The system has 3 parts:
– a Zenalyser®, a unique dual sensor breathalyser that detects alcohol and the metabolites of disulfiram on a sample of breath
– a ZenDroid tablet – a computer tablet that connects with the Zenalyser and sends breath sample data directly to a cloud system
– a cloud-based system – containing the ZenaMed database, which:
- reminds the client to provide a breath sample
- sends immediate feedback to the client of their breath sample result
- informs the clinician and other interested people of the result
- stores all of the client’s results in a table and a cumulative graph
- enables the clinician to communicate easily with the client
- keeps a photo of the client every time they blow into a Zenalyser
- if you need to order ‘data credits’ (breath samples), or extra Zenalysers and ZenDroid tablets, this can all be done through the ZenaMed Data Portal
The Zenalyser Treatment System can be used in clinic to check that clients prescribed disulfiram are really taking their medication.
It can also be used remotely. A Zenalyser can be ‘assigned’ easily to any client. They can take a Zenalyser and ZenDroid tablet home and be supported and monitored remotely.
There are a number of important benefits to the Zenalyser® treatment system:
– the Zenalyser® can detect a relapse before it occurs
- disulfiram (Antabuse®) metabolite levels begin to fall
- alcohol appears in the data readings
- the client stops sending data
– for many clients it is a much more convenient and cost-effective than
- routine clinic appointments
- residential rehabilitation
– for the clinical team it can
- free up clinician time
- help anticipate and respond rapidly to a developing relapse
- help abolish repeated in-patient detoxifications
- provide a way to cost effectively deliver high intensity, long term treatment
– it provides continuity of care every day, as it can be used wherever there is internet access
- at home
- at work
- anywhere in the world with internet access
– the Zenalyser® has a number of valuable applications
- routine support and monitoring for alcohol dependent clients prescribed disulfiram (Antabuse)
- post-detoxification aftercare
- child safeguarding
- occupational health
- monitoring within the criminal justice system
For more detailed information about the technology behind the Zenalyser® and its use in clinical practice, please go to Downloads – Information.